The easiest way to get to annecy from uk is by flying to geneva and then taking a bus, train, or car transfer to annecy, which takes around an hour. Annecy is a charming town nestled amidst the french alps, and it’s perfect for anyone looking to take a break from the busyness of everyday life.
There’s much to see and do in this beautiful town, including exploring the old town, taking a boat ride on lake annecy, or hiking in the stunning mountains surrounding the town. If you’re traveling to annecy from the uk, you have a few options, but the easiest and most convenient way is by flying into geneva airport and then taking a transfer to annecy.
Table of Contents
In this guide, we’ll explore the different options you have for getting to annecy from the uk and how to make the most of your trip.
Traveling By Plane
Annecy is a beautiful and vibrant city in the haute-savoie region of france. It is a popular destination for tourists, adventure seekers, and nature lovers. If you are planning to visit annecy from the uk, there are various modes of transportation to choose from.
However, one of the quickest and most convenient ways to reach annecy from the uk is by taking a flight. In this section, we will shed light on the pros and cons of flying to annecy from the uk, airports in the uk with direct flights to annecy, airlines that offer direct flights between the uk and annecy, things to keep in mind while booking your flight tickets, and tips to save money on your flight tickets.
Pros And Cons Of Flying To Annecy From The Uk
When traveling to annecy from the united kingdom, taking a flight comes with some advantages and disadvantages. Here are some of the pros and cons:
- Quickest mode of transportation to annecy from the uk.
- Offers more flexibility with flight timings and schedules.
- Less stressful than driving or taking a bus or train.
- Flying is generally safe and efficient.
- Flights can be expensive, especially during high season.
- Luggage restrictions can be a hassle.
- There can be delays or cancellations due to weather or other circumstances.
- Security checks and boarding procedures can be time-consuming.
Airports In The Uk With Direct Flights To Annecy
There are no direct flights from london to annecy. However, there are two airports in the uk that offer direct flights to annecy.
- London luton airport
- East midlands airport
Airlines That Offer Direct Flights Between Uk And Annecy
Several airlines operate direct flights between the uk and annecy. These include:
Easyjet is a popular low-cost airline that operates flights from london luton airport and east midlands airport to annecy.
Things To Keep In Mind While Booking Your Flight Tickets
Booking flight tickets can be a daunting task. However, keeping a few things in mind can help you get the best possible deal.
- Book your tickets in advance to secure better prices.
- Be flexible with your travel dates and times to find the cheapest flights.
- Subscribe to airline newsletters to stay updated on deals and promotions.
- Compare prices between different airlines to find the best deal.
- Check for hidden fees, such as luggage fees, before booking.
Tips To Save Money On Your Flight Tickets
Here are some smart tips to help you save money on your flight tickets:
- Book your tickets during off-peak season.
- Fly on weekdays instead of weekends.
- Use airline credit cards to earn points and discounts.
- Consider the cost of travelling to a nearby airport instead of the one closest to you.
- Opt for budget airlines instead of premium airlines.
Flying to annecy from the uk can be an enjoyable and convenient experience if you plan your trip well. Remember to book your tickets in advance, compare prices, and keep an eye on your luggage allowance to avoid any last-minute surprises.
Traveling By Train
Annecy is a delightful town located in southeastern france and is a perfect destination for tourists seeking a serene and picturesque environment. For travelers from the uk, taking a train to annecy is an excellent option as you will enjoy the breathtaking scenery and reach your destination comfortably.
In this post, we will explore the pros and cons of taking a train to annecy, the train stations in the uk that offer direct trains to annecy, popular routes and train schedules, type of train tickets and how to book them, and tips to make your train journey smooth and hassle-free.
Pros And Cons Of Taking A Train To Annecy From The Uk
- Train travel is an eco-friendly and comfortable way to reach annecy.
- Passengers get to enjoy the scenic beauty of the countryside and the mountains when traveling.
- Train travel offers a chance to relax and meet new people while en route to the destination.
- Train travel to annecy can take a longer time compared to other modes of travel.
- Train tickets can be more expensive than some budget flights.
- Passengers may need to transfer trains to reach annecy, adding more time and complexity to the journey.
Train Stations In The Uk That Offer Direct Trains To Annecy
Currently, there are no direct train services from the uk to annecy. However, travelers can take a train from london to annecy with one transfer.
Here are the recommended train stations to take to annecy:
- London st. pancras international: This station has high-speed eurostar trains to paris gare du nord.
- Paris gare du nord: Transfer to paris gare de lyon to connect with a direct train from paris to annecy.
Popular Routes And Train Schedules
For travelers from the uk taking a train to annecy, they must first take a eurostar train from st. pancras international to paris gare du nord. The journey will take approximately 2 hours and 16 minutes.
From gare du nord station, travelers can connect with a tgv train, which takes them to annecy. The journey takes approximately 3 hours and 40 minutes.
The tgv trains run daily from paris to annecy, departing from paris gare de lyon and arriving at annecy station. The trains run every hour, and it’s advisable to check train schedules before making travel arrangements.
Type Of Train Tickets And How To Book Them
Train tickets to annecy can be purchased directly from the eurostar website or from sncf, which is the french national rail operator.
Types of train tickets available are:
- Standard class
- Standard premier
- Business premier
Standard class is the most affordable option, while standard premier and business premier offer extra space and comfort.
When booking train tickets, travelers should choose the ‘print at home’ option to avoid any additional charges. It’s essential to have a printed ticket before boarding your train.
Tips To Make Your Train Journey Smooth And Hassle-Free
- Book your tickets early to take advantage of early bird discounts and seat reservations
- Arrive at the station early to avoid any unnecessary stress
- Pack light and efficiently to avoid any difficulty in carrying luggage
- Familiarize yourself with connecting stations and platforms before commencing travel
- Keep your documentation safe, including passports and tickets
- Pack a snack and water, especially for long train journeys.
Taking a train to annecy from the uk is an excellent choice, as it offers a chance to sit back, relax and enjoy the breathtaking views while en route to your destination. With efficient planning, you can enjoy a hassle-free journey and make unforgettable memories in annecy.
Traveling By Car
Pros And Cons Of Driving To Annecy From The Uk
Driving to annecy from the uk can be an enjoyable and cost-effective way of getting there, but it also has its drawbacks. Below are some of the main pros and cons of driving:
- Flexibility – driving allows you to set your own schedule and stop wherever and whenever you want.
- Economical – if you are traveling as a group, driving can be a cheaper option than flying or taking the train.
- Scenic routes – there are some beautiful scenic routes to take on the way to annecy, with stunning countryside and views of the alps.
- Convenience – you can bring as much luggage as you want without having to worry about weight or size restrictions.
- Time – driving from the uk to annecy can take around 9-10 hours or longer, depending on your starting point and the route you take.
- Tolls – there are toll charges to pay on the french motorways, which can be quite expensive.
- Stressful – driving in a foreign country can be stressful and daunting, especially in busy cities.
- Exhaustion – driving for extended periods without adequate rest can lead to fatigue and exhaustion, which can be dangerous.
Best Routes, Highways And Toll Charges
The most popular route to annecy from the uk is via the channel tunnel or ferry to calais, then driving down through france. The quickest route is to take the a26 to reims, then the a5 to lyon, and then the a41 to annecy.
However, there are other scenic routes to consider, such as the route des grandes alpes, which goes through the french alps.
There are several tolls on the french motorways, and the total cost can add up quickly. To save money, you can take the ‘route national’, which is a slower but toll-free alternative.
Renting A Car, Driving Rules And Regulations
Before renting a car in the uk or france, you should check your driver’s license, insurance, and any other documents required. In france, you drive on the right-hand side of the road, and the speed limits are in kilometers per hour.
Some important rules and regulations to keep in mind when driving in france are:
- Seatbelts are mandatory for all passengers.
- The use of mobile phones is prohibited while driving.
- Speed limits are strictly enforced.
- Drinking and driving is strictly prohibited, and the legal blood-alcohol limit is 0.05%.
Safety Tips, Parking And Local Transportation In Annecy
When driving in annecy, it is essential to be aware of the narrow streets, particularly in the old town, and to watch out for pedestrians and cyclists. There are several parking options available, such as public car parks and street parking.
Local transportation options include buses, trains, and taxis, but the best way to explore annecy and the surrounding countryside is on foot, bike, or by boat on the lake.
Things To Keep In Mind While Road Tripping To Annecy
Some important things to keep in mind when road tripping to annecy are:
- Road conditions can vary depending on the weather and time of year, so always check the forecast and road reports before setting off.
- Take regular rest breaks to avoid fatigue and stay hydrated.
- Pack food, drinks, and any other essentials in case of delays or unexpected stops.
- Respect the local culture and customs, and always be courteous and polite to other drivers and pedestrians.
Alternative Transportation Modes To Reach Annecy From The Uk
When traveling from the uk to annecy, most people choose to fly. However, there are other alternative modes of transportation available that can offer a different traveling experience. Let’s take a closer look at some of these options.
Bus And Coach Services
If you prefer traveling on the ground, you can consider taking a bus or coach service. Here are some key points you need to know:
- There are several bus companies that offer direct coach services from london victoria to annecy.
- The journey time can take up to 16 hours, and the price starts from £80.
- You can also find coach services from other uk cities such as birmingham and bristol with a connecting service.
- It’s recommended to book your ticket in advance as seats can fill up quickly.
Carpooling And Ride-Sharing Options
Another alternative mode of transportation is carpooling or ride-sharing. If you’re open to the idea, here are some important points to consider:
- You can find several online platforms that offer ride-sharing services between the uk and annecy.
- This is a more eco-friendly option as you can share the ride and reduce your carbon footprint.
- The prices can vary, but it’s usually cheaper than other transportation modes.
- You can meet new people and enjoy a friendly and social traveling experience.
Ferry And Cruise Options
If you’re looking for a more adventurous way of reaching annecy, you can also consider taking a ferry or cruise. Here’s what you need to know:
- You can take a ferry from the uk to either calais or dunkirk in france.
- From there, you can drive to annecy or take other transportation modes such as trains or buses.
- Alternatively, you can also take a cruise from the uk to several ports in france such as le havre or marseille.
- This option can take longer and be more expensive, but you can enjoy a unique and scenic traveling experience.
How To Choose The Best Alternative Mode Of Transportation
Choosing the best alternative mode of transportation depends on several factors such as your budget, travel time, destination, and personal preferences. Here are some tips to help you make the right decision:
- Consider your travel budget and choose a mode of transportation that fits your finances.
- Take into account the travel time, and choose a mode of transportation that suits your schedule.
- Think about your destination and choose a mode of transportation that takes you closer to your final destination.
- Finally, consider your personal preferences and choose a mode of transportation that fits your style and comfort.
There are several alternative modes of transportation available for reaching annecy from the uk. Whether you prefer traveling on the ground, sharing a ride, or taking a ferry, there’s an option that can fit your needs and preferences. So, consider these alternatives and choose the one that works best for you.
FAQs For How To Get To Annecy From Uk
How Long Does It Take To Get To Annecy From The Uk?
The duration of the journey depends on the mode of transportation and point of departure. If you’re taking a flight, it typically takes around 2-3 hours from the uk to nearby cities like geneva or lyon, and then an additional hour-long drive to annecy.
How Much Does It Cost To Travel To Annecy From The Uk?
The cost of the trip varies depending on the mode of travel, season, and a few other factors. Flights to geneva or lyon can range from £50-£200, depending on the airline and season. Train tickets can cost around £90-£150, and driving can cost up to £250 for fuel and tolls.
What Are Some Ways To Travel From The Uk To Annecy?
There are several ways to get to annecy from the uk. Flying directly to annecy’s airport is not possible as the airport only serves private flights. However, you can fly to nearby cities like geneva or lyon then take a train, bus or drive to annecy.
Getting to annecy from the uk is an easy and convenient travel option for anyone looking to explore the beautiful lakeside city and its natural wonders. Whether you’re traveling by car, train, or plane, there are various transportation options available that provide a comfortable and efficient journey.
From london, you can catch a direct flight to geneva or lyon and then take a train or bus to annecy. Alternatively, you can drive to annecy and take in the picturesque views on the way. Regardless of your mode of transport, the journey is worth it to experience the charm and unique character of annecy.
With its stunning landscapes, rich history, and vibrant culture, annecy is an ideal destination for anyone seeking adventure and exploration. So, plan your trip to annecy now and get ready for an unforgettable experience that will leave you with memories to last a lifetime.